Thursday, September 15, 2011

My First Week In Italy

So my first week of school was not really what I was expecting... Italian school is much harder than it is in Canada. First of all my schedule is all over the place it is so confusing. Monday I have Science, P. E, Religion, and Math. Just so you know each class is 50 minutes long with only one 15 minute break between 3 & 4 period. On Tuesday I have Latin, History/Philosophy, Latin, and Math., and if you are thinking "wow she has Latin twice in one day! How weird is that?" then you are so right! On Wednesday I have Latin (again), French, Art, and Math. On Thursday I have French, Physics, Math, and Science. On Friday I have Latin, Science, English, and History. This week in English my teacher has asked me to make a presentation about myself and Canada and present it to the class. It is a good thing Rotary has kicked the fear of public speaking right out of me! Finally on Saturday I have 2 hours of Latin, P. E., and History/Philosophy.  With Math you are not allowed to use a calculator so today all I did was brush up on my long division skills, they are pretty rusty! Their French is also way better than mine, even though I have been taking French since grade 4. Most of the kids in my class speak 3 languages plus they know Latin. The Italian school system definitely puts the Canadian one to shame!


Fortunately I don't have to go to school this Saturday because I, along with all the other Rotary Exchange Students in Cremona, are going to the Lake for the Inbound Orientation meeting! We are taking a bus to Porta Venezia, then we are taking a train the rest of the way! I'm so excited I've never been on a train before!! I can't wait to meet all the other exchange students, it is unfortunate that they are all mostly from the states it would have been nice if they could be from everywhere! But at least that means we don't have to worry about the language barrier, since everyone speaks English.


Yesterday, I went with my host mom Lauretta, to the music school in Cremona. We found out how much classical singing lessons would cost and they are pretty much the same as in Canada. 82 euros for 30 minutes a week, for one month. I still have to ask my dad but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do them because I need something to get me out of the house in the afternoon. And if I'm able to join a choir and play volleyball and soccer that will take up some more time! I just need to keep busy, that way I wont be thinking of home so much. 


In my next post I will let you know how the Inbound Orientation Meeting went!


Ciao for now,


Amanda ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment